28 April 2010

Today’s Secret Ingredient is… MANGOES!

I love mangoes. They’re probably the best fruit I have ever eaten. Trouble is, it’s hard to get good ones in the states. Up until a year ago, I had no idea how good mangoes could get. That was before I went to Guatemala for spring break. They were amazing! I had so many that week, and every one was like a piece of soft candy that melts in your mouth (but not in your hand). Returning to the states, I was highly disappointed by the diminished quality of mangoes that were available. It’s just that they have to be transported while they are still under ripe, and they don’t take well to artificial ripening procedures like bananas or some other tropical fruits.

Luckily, India grows mangoes. Granted, they’re grown in the south of the country, but it’s still relatively close. And today, Atul said that he would take me to the market to get some. Yay! Aside from this being the most exciting thing that’s happened in awhile (besides looking at the new house), this is more evidence for the high level of respect for food that is apparent in this area. In America, it’s possible to get any food at any time of the year, regardless of season. Yet to do that, food must be shipped from Chile and New Zealand, and it is never as good as it is when harvested in the appropriate season and shipped a minimum distance.

So instead of going to Meijer for your mangoes, go to South America or India instead. Maybe it’s a little bit more expensive, but it’s much tastier. I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment