22 March 2010

Getting Used To It

Here are a few updates on how I’m getting used to things about India that most people back home would hate to hear about.

A bat that was hanging in the rafters of my house flipped out and starting flying around when I turned on the light last night. It nearly flew into my face, and for the first time (because this happens a lot), I didn’t scream like a little girl. Not that I scream like a little girl anyway, I’m just sayin’.

This morning I went to the sink to wash dishes, but I had to put that on hold while I pulled two spiders the size of my fist out of the sink first.

There’s a long, winding, unstable path from the mud hut to the main road to get to KLB. I remember that for at least the first month, I had to look at my feet the whole time I walked it so that I didn’t trip and break my ankle. But this morning I realized that I’ve stopped looking at my feet. I don’t have to anymore.

I went to the market yesterday to get brown sugar and the shopkeeper told me that he was sorry, but they’re out. They’ll get some more tomorrow. He said it in Hindi, and I didn’t have to ask him to use English.

That’s all, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment