13 March 2010

Super Size You, India

I’m getting really good at making tea. I’m also getting really good at drinking it. It’s so delicious that I just can’t get enough. Yet I’m always polite and have just one small cup (which is actually about half a cup in Imperial measurements) at a time, because I know that soon, there will be a chance to have another cup. But when I’m at home, I go a little nuts and make myself a big boy cup. This also happens when I have guests at the mud hut and I make tea for them. Yesterday I brought out three glasses for Shammi, Atul and myself. Atul suggested that I start making my cups of tea smaller. For once, I completely disagreed with cultural norms.

“That’s what happens when you let an American make you food. You get American portions.”

No, I’m not making everybody around me fat. These super-sized glasses of tea are no more than an average 8-ounce glass. They’re just huge when compared to the potion size of normal Indian snacks. For example, their candies are tiny, slightly bigger than an M&M. When I make taffy to distribute, they complain that I’ve made the pieces too big. Again, that’s what you get!

Does this create a problem when I make food at the hostel? Not one bit. For some reason, they like their meals to be as big as their plate, especially if it’s rice. One pancake doesn’t quite cut it, and two pieces of PBC for each girl is only just enough.

Am I at fault for trying to increase portion sizes, or are they at fault for trying to refuse? I don’t know, but at least Shammi likes it when I make big cups of tea for him.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to try M&M size candy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. v

    Here are my reasons.though Hogans have stimulated a million dollars imitations, Hogan Sneakers the originals are even now the greatest.For the modern, fashionista in you, take a look at their new wedge heel designs.If they are not water proof, you would need to take an extra step in doing that on your own.What's more, Franklin Marshall Clothes seldom people will be dynamic in cold weather.In order to work as intended, snowhogan must not be allowed to accumulate snow on the tops.From Converse styles to lightweight hogan, D&G glasses plimsoll hogan really have it all this spring.

    ReplyDelete