08 March 2010

Simon Says Stop

I got to work today to find that Principal Ramdev had unexpectedly gone to Chandigarh on business. It puts a hold on my work here because he is the only one besides Madame Utra who knows about my plans for cooking the extra meal at the hostel, which means that he is also in charge of making sure I have the ingredients that I need. Today I don’t, and he’s not here, so I have nothing to do. No ingredients means no cooking means not much busy work at KLB. Well, I could at least go to Madame Utra to make sure that there will be the necessary ingredients for tomorrow’s dish… except that she is also out of town. My VIP’s are MIA, so I am SOL, FYI.

But that’s just the way things go here, and I was surprised to find that I wasn’t at all frustrated about it. Honestly. Yes, it kind of sucks that I can’t do any more progress on my planned work, but stuff like that happens. It might not be the way life is supposed to work, but it’s the way Indian life works, at least. I have no idea when he’s supposed to get back, so I have no idea what to do next, but that’s alright. I can work some more on my lesson plans, catch up on writing emails, make calls, hang out with the teachers, read the newspapers a little more thoroughly, and fine-tune the menu. It’s all a part of the “independent working environment” about which I was told before I came here. This probably isn’t the way I want to spend the rest of my life and career, whatever that may be, but for right now, it’s just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment