03 March 2010

Spice Respite

Today I had my first full meal in India that wasn’t spicy. Shammi asked me to show him how to make American-style scrambled eggs, so I did. Unlike when he makes eggs, I didn’t feel compelled to add cumin, cayenne or dried chili powder to the mix. I just made regular, savory scrambled eggs with toast, and that was it.

Unfortunately, today I also ran into a huge writer’s block, the first one I’ve had in India since I started writing. Maybe the two are connected. Maybe when you come to India, your palate gets torched and you mind is opened. It is not only hard to write for the blog, but it’s difficult to come up with lesson plans as well. Starting maybe next week (TII), I will be giving short nutritional lessons to some of the students here. In addition to nutrition basics, like counting calories and learning about protein, fat and carbs, I will be talking about some nutrition related diseases common to the area: anemia, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. This is what I like to call the G.I. Joe approach to fighting disease, because knowing is half the battle.

And that’s all folks. It’s just not much of a writing day today. I’ll eat a tablespoon of turmeric with my dinner tonight, maybe that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment