27 February 2010

An Apple a Day

Time to get going on whatever it is that I’m doing here. Of course, I’m just saying that sarcastically, because I obviously do have an ultimate purpose to being here, and that is to work on the hostel menu. Principal Ramdev and I have decided that it would be a good option to add an extra small meal each day in between lunch and dinner, so I’ve written a plan for some items that can be prepared and/or provided.

The most important addition to their diet is fruit. Most of the girls eat 1-2 servings per week. The FAO, WHO and UN recommend at least 400 grams per day, while the USDA and the Indian Medical Association call it 5 servings, be it fresh, dried, squeezed or pureed. So, for 4 days a week all that’s going to be added is either a serving of fresh or dried fruit and a serving of nuts (which will add important fats and proteins, areas that need improvement). No, it’s not 5 a day, but it’s an introduction. I can’t be forcing raisins down their throat or injecting them with Tropicana. I’m just improving what’s lacking. If this small introduction encourages them to eat more fruit, then that’s a success in my book.

For the other 3 days a week, the snack will be a cooked or otherwise prepared item. Again, if they end up wanting more cooked items then fruit, then we’ll make the necessary changes and we proceed. My ideas: spicy peanut butter sandwiches, sweet peanut butter banana sandwiches, falafel with yogurt, pancakes, bean burgers, whole-wheat nachos (made by frying leftover chapattis until crisp), and PBC. The PBC is to add some sweet variety to their diet, because obviously it isn’t there for nutritional value. Everything else is there to use common Indian ingredients in a new way, to give the girls something new to put in their palates. The other motivation is to increase intakes of protein and healthy fats, which Principal Ramdev and I agree needs adjustment.

There are two more reasons for the extra meal. One is that most people here eat three big meals a day, which leads to unhealthy weight gain. Studies have shown that eating several smaller meals each day (4-6) leads to a healthier metabolism. The second reason is that Principal Ramdev wants them to get some more calories. My nutritional analysis showed that the average caloric intake meets the average requirements, but only just. He thinks, and I agree, that we should at least provide some extra, healthy food. They don’t have to eat it, but they probably will. Lunch at 1 and dinner at 8 means that most girls get hungry in between meals. They are forced to find unhealthy options to fill the gap, like chips, instant noodles and candy.

The plan is to add an extra meal every day in March. I will assist the cook in preparing the dishes with which she is unfamiliar, and we can make changes to the menu as needed based on the feedback of the girls. Budget also needs to be considered, and it is ultimately up to the administration to decide if spending a bit more on the hostel is worth it. That’s for them to decide; I can only make the recommendations. At the end of the month, we’ll decide if what we did was a good idea and should be continued. I will also have some more material on cultural observations that I can use in my final thesis at the end of the semester.

Cross your fingers for me. I’ll keep you all posted on the progress, if there is any.

No comments:

Post a Comment