24 February 2010

Mi Comida Es Su Comida

I screwed up today. It was about noon, and lunch was still another couple hours away. I like to follow the plan of eating small meals throughout the day, so I always bring some snacks to work to keep my metabolism busy: an apple, a banana, some nuts, etc. Today, I grabbed an apple and walked outside to eat it. It was yummy. I finished the apple and threw the core into the trash.

Yesh, one of the teachers here, approached me a few minutes later. He explained that in Indian culture, what I just did was very rude. Anytime one eats food, it should be with other people who are also eating. That way, everybody can share their food so that everybody gets the same amount. For me to eat one thing only for myself without offering it to others was a big no-no. It means that I am very selfish. One can eat by themselves if they want, but they should do so in private.

Whoops. My bad. At least now I know that I should go into hiding when I want a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment